What SME can do for you
Day to day business
MORE THAN JUST BOOKKEEPING
By asking the right questions and implementing the most up-to-date software, SME can reduce the amount of time you need to spend on basic business administration, freeing you up to work on generating more income. At the same time, you will be able to see how financial performance is tracking, every day of the year. Here are some of the services we offer:
- Accounting services and office administration
- Accounting software selection and implementation
- Companies office requirements
- Rental property accounting
- International financial reporting standards
- Financial forecasts and cashflow projections
Be a big fish in our SME pond
MORE THAN JUST TAX
Many of SME's clients come to us because they have been dealing with bigger firms where their business isn't valued by their accountant. Frequent changes of staff, having to chase up documents, and generally feeling like a small fish in a big pond.
Because SME Financial specialises in small to medium enterprises, we place a high value on every customer and you get treated accordingly.
MORE THAN JUST COMPLIANCE
The last thing you want is a surprise bill from the Inland Revenue Department. We ensure that your taxes are accurately calculated, according to the latest information and tax laws - out-of-date information can leave you out of pocket. SME ensures that you never pay too much tax, or too little.
- Taxation services - planning and preparation
- Goods and services tax (GST) and fringe benefit tax (FBT)
- IR representation
MORE THAN JUST NUMBERS
Whether you're selling your business, starting a new venture, winding up an old one or retiring, SME will work with you to make a smooth transition.
- Business succession planning
- Business entity selection and start up
- Buying, selling, merging or valuing businesses
- Due diligence
Free up your time
MORE THAN JUST SPREADSHEETS
For small to medium-sized enterprises, SME is the business development specialist. We work with business owners and managers to improve efficiency, cut costs, increase profits and ensure tax payments are accurate. By using the latest software we can create accurate and trustworthy forecasts to help you with cashflow and grow your company. We can value your business and then help you to increase and maintain that value.
Business development services
Financial forecasts and cashflow projections
Protecting your future
MORE THAN JUST ACCOUNTING
It's essential to protect your assets from liabilities that arise in your life, whether it's a break-up, insolvency or a legal matter. SME can advise you on how best to structure your affairs to keep your assets as safe as possible.
- Trust reviews
- Solvent liquidations and informal schemes of arrangement
- Settlement of disputes and mediation
- Structuring ownership for maximum security
More than just problem-solving
Big companies have full-time CFOs, but small businesses have traditionally done without an on-call financial strategist. That's all changed since the technology revolution - now your business can outsource the CFO role and get ongoing support and planning. The service can include:
- Cashflow projection
- Financial analysis
- Setting KPIs
- Tax planning and advice
- Monthly reports
- Strategic planning
A virtual CFO can provide you with a fresh perspective on your company's challenges. We can show you where your business is strongest and point out some positive changes to help it develop.
MORE THAN JUST FINANCIAL REPORTS
I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about succession planning, both as an adviser to my clients and as a business owner. New Zealand’s economy is underpinned by small and medium-sized businesses:
- 97%, over 473,000, of Kiwi businesses have fewer than 20 employees and 69% of Kiwi businesses, over 338,000, have zero employees.
- 43% of self-employed people are over the age of 40, which includes over 40,000 people aged 60 to 65 and over 23,000 people aged over 65 – the biggest wave of Baby Boomers.
This means there are tens of thousands of New Zealand business owners who will need to think about succession planning, but there’s surprisingly little out there to help them. Selling a business can take months, or years, and the right type of buyer can be hard to find. Once you have found a buyer, the transition period can be bumpy.
I think there’s a real gap in the market when it comes to succession planning in New Zealand. I’ve had a substantial amount of experience over the past 30 years in getting businesses ‘sale ready’, finding buyers for businesses, and transferring ownership (including, I should add, to family members, which is an extremely tricky process and requires expert handling). If you know someone struggling with the challenge of stepping back from a business – let’s get this conversation started.
Geoff Hamilton, CA
MORE THAN JUST CLOUD BASED SOFTWARE
There are many convincing reasons to move to a cloud-based accounting solution like Xero: automatic updates, real-time data, reduced costs and improved business continuation in the event of a disaster – to name a few.
Over 400,000 businesses now use Xero - including the majority of our clients. They love the features such as a real-time view of cash flow, automatic bank reconciliation, automatic and free updates and smart reports.
At SME Financial working with Xero has enabled us to efficiently deliver more services and more value to our clients when they need it, that’s why we love it.
We do this by:
- Reviewing your current system
- Recommending an online accounting solution
- Tailoring the solution to meet your needs
- Implementing your new accounting system
- Training your people to get maximum benefits from the solution
- Providing ongoing support
- Regularly reviewing the data and focusing the business owners and/or managers on the organisation's performance
Xero integrates with hundreds of add-on business applications so that you can easily sync and streamline your data. From inventory management, invoicing and time tracking, there’s specialised software that’s right for your business.
With over 300 add-ons it can be quite daunting choosing the right one. Below are solutions we think are worth sharing with you. Talk to us to get started.
Every SME customer can expect:
- No call centres, no call queues: We guarantee to answer the phone immediately and in person during business hours.
- Prompt responses: We guarantee that we will return calls, emails and requests for information from you within 24 hours.
- Qualified experts: We guarantee that all your personal and business affairs are taken care of by quality affiliated associates.
- Precise timing: We guarantee to advise you when you will have work finalised and presented to you, and to meet that deadline.
- IRD immediacy: We guarantee to notify you of any correspondence received from the IRD, or any other reporting agencies, within 48 hours of receiving it.
- Price certainty: We will quote for any work before we start so that you do not get a surprise when we send you an invoice. If there are any extra costs, we'll notify you before we do the extra work and get your approval. This way there are no unexpected bills.
Helping Kiwi businesses for over 25 years
Celebrating 25 years in business, SME Financial has now been transforming New Zealand businesses for a quarter of a century. Why has SME Financial been so successful?
- A clear vision to make a genuine difference in its clients' lives and businesses
- A culture of excellence with a team that is dedicated to achieving superlative results
- A code of confidentiality that means its clients can trust SME implicitly
- A superior level of personalised customer service - no call centre, just call and talk to one of the team
- A commitment to early adoption of the latest technological advances in software and hardware
- A strong belief in the way that great accounting can change the world
- A dedication to ongoing training and advancement for every member of our team
SME's accounting strategies create win-win situations. Our clients are happy, their businesses are thriving, and they're making more money.
You're happy, we're happy.
Because we like SME clients to be happy, before we start working with a new client, or doing a new job for an existing client, we provide a detailed fixed-price quote. This way, you know what the work will cost and there's no risk of unexpected bills at the end of the process.
Call SME during working hours, and we'll answer the phone - we promise you'll get to talk to a real person straight away, not a recorded message.
Phone: (09) 366 7025
Fax: (09) 309 2460
6 Boston Road
PO Box 37-045
Save time by filling out your annual questionnaires online below. Select from a business, individual or trust questionnaire - you can return to this page to complete another questionnaire. If you would prefer to print out a questionnaire, fill it in and return it to us, click here to download a PDF.