How can we help?
MORE THAN JUST FINANCIAL REPORTS
I’ve spent a lot of time thinking about succession planning, both as an adviser to my clients and as a business owner. New Zealand’s economy is underpinned by small and medium-sized businesses:
- 97%, over 473,000, of Kiwi businesses have fewer than 20 employees and 69% of Kiwi businesses, over 338,000, have zero employees.
- 43% of self-employed people are over the age of 40, which includes over 40,000 people aged 60 to 65 and over 23,000 people aged over 65 – the biggest wave of Baby Boomers.
This means there are tens of thousands of New Zealand business owners who will need to think about succession planning, but there’s surprisingly little out there to help them. Selling a business can take months, or years, and the right type of buyer can be hard to find. Once you have found a buyer, the transition period can be bumpy.
I think there’s a real gap in the market when it comes to succession planning in New Zealand. I’ve had a substantial amount of experience over the past 30 years in getting businesses ‘sale ready’, finding buyers for businesses, and transferring ownership (including, I should add, to family members, which is an extremely tricky process and requires expert handling). If you know someone struggling with the challenge of stepping back from a business – let’s get this conversation started.
Geoff Hamilton, CA
There are many convincing reasons to move to a cloud-based accounting solution like Xero: automatic updates, real-time data, reduced costs and improved business continuation in the event of a disaster – to name a few.
Over 400,000 businesses now use Xero - including the majority of our clients. They love the features such as a real-time view of cash flow, automatic bank reconciliation, automatic and free updates and smart reports.
At SME Financial working with Xero has enabled us to efficiently deliver more services and more value to our clients when they need it, that’s why we love it.
We do this by:
- Reviewing your current system
- Recommending an online accounting solution
- Tailoring the solution to meet your needs
- Implementing your new accounting system
- Training your people to get maximum benefits from the solution
- Providing ongoing support
- Regularly reviewing the data and focusing the business owners and/or managers on the organisation's performance
Xero integrates with hundreds of add-on business applications so that you can easily sync and streamline your data. From inventory management, invoicing and time tracking, there’s specialised software that’s right for your business.
More than just problem-solving
Big companies have full-time CFOs, but small businesses have traditionally done without an on-call financial strategist. That's all changed since the technology revolution - now your business can outsource the CFO role and get ongoing support and planning. The service can include:
- Cashflow projection
- Financial analysis
- Setting KPIs
- Tax planning and advice
- Monthly reports
- Strategic planning
A virtual CFO can provide you with a fresh perspective on your company's challenges. We can show you where your business is strongest and point out some positive changes to help it develop.
When your business is involved in contracts – particularly with several external parties – it’s not easy to keep track of every aspect of the engagement. Sometimes you need to check that the contracts are being fulfilled correctly, that products and services are being charged at the correct rate, and that all the obligations are being met to ensure a better outcome and greater value for money is achieved by all parties.
Accurate, complete and performance: when you fall short of those standards, you’re exposing your engagement and business to risk. That’s when SME Assurance comes in. Shelley Keery and the team at SME are able to do all those checks on your behalf – on time and on budget. We can help you strengthen your financial position, improve your contract negotiation skills and get more out of every engagement. We also work with both public and private sector organisations to assist in optimising transaction outcomes when working on major infrastructure projects.
SME Assurance provides you with an independent safeguard against unnecessary risks and losses. Assurance specialist Shelley Keery has been a Chartered Accountant for 25 years and has worked specifically in assurance and auditing for 14 years. Shelley has done assurance work for major clients including NZTA, Fulton Hogan and Fletchers, and worked on significant projects such as the Waterview Tunnel, the Waitangi Wharf replacement, Mackays to Peka Peka Crossing, Wellington Memorial Park and the Christchurch rebuild. She loves finding ways to help clients tweak their business practices and improve their contracts – as well as making sure they’re getting the most out of their existing engagements.
If you need assurance that your contracts and engagements are being applied accurately, completely and comprehensively, give Shelley a call or drop her a note, email@example.com.
Every SME customer can expect:
- No call centres, no call queues: We guarantee to answer the phone immediately and in person during business hours.
- Prompt responses: We guarantee that we will return calls, emails and requests for information from you within 24 hours.
- Qualified experts: We guarantee that all your personal and business affairs are taken care of by quality affiliated associates.
- Precise timing: We guarantee to advise you when you will have work finalised and presented to you, and to meet that deadline.
- IRD immediacy: We guarantee to notify you of any correspondence received from the IRD, or any other reporting agencies, within 48 hours of receiving it.
- Price certainty: We will quote for any work before we start so that you do not get a surprise when we send you an invoice. If there are any extra costs, we'll notify you before we do the extra work and get your approval. This way there are no unexpected bills.
Helping Kiwi businesses for over 25 years
Celebrating 25 years in business, SME Financial has now been transforming New Zealand businesses for a quarter of a century. Why has SME Financial been so successful?
- A clear vision to make a genuine difference in its clients' lives and businesses
- A culture of excellence with a team that is dedicated to achieving superlative results
- A code of confidentiality that means its clients can trust SME implicitly
- A superior level of personalised customer service - no call centre, just call and talk to one of the team
- A commitment to early adoption of the latest technological advances in software and hardware
- A strong belief in the way that great accounting can change the world
- A dedication to ongoing training and advancement for every member of our team
SME's accounting strategies create win-win situations. Our clients are happy, their businesses are thriving, and they're making more money.
You're happy, we're happy.
Because we like SME clients to be happy, before we start working with a new client, or doing a new job for an existing client, we provide a detailed fixed-price quote. This way, you know what the work will cost and there's no risk of unexpected bills at the end of the process.
WE PICK UP THE PHONE
Give us a call,
We know it's old-fashioned, but call SME during working hours, and we'll answer the phone - we promise you'll get to talk to a real person straight away, not a recorded message.
Phone: (09) 366 7025
Fax: (09) 309 2460
You could even send us some mail.
PO Box 37-045
send us an email,
You can email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or email your friendly team member with email@example.com.
Alternatively, you can fill out the contact form below.
or come for a visit...
We have car parks! You can see them in the diagram below the map.
6 Boston Road
Save time by filling out your annual questionnaires online below. Select from a business, individual or trust questionnaire - you can return to this page to complete another questionnaire. If you would prefer to print out a questionnaire, fill it in and return it to us, click here to download a PDF.