Geoff Hamilton is a specialist when it comes to helping New Zealand business owners value their businesses and sell them successfully. He can help you answer all your succession planning questions:
- What is my business worth?
- How can I find someone who wants to buy my business?
- What if I want to pass my business onto a family member?
- Can I help a staff member buy my business?
- How do I ease out of the work gradually?
- What do I need to do to get the maximum sale price for my business?
- What documents do I need to prepare for a prospective buyer?
- How can I use the sale money to build the future I want?
Geoff has bought and sold his own businesses as well as helping hundreds of clients find the right solution to move out of their companies and onto the next challenge in life.
THE 5 STEPS FOR GETTING MAXIMUM VALUE FOR YOUR BUSINESS:
1. MEET: I make a time to meet with you – either at your business or here in Mt Eden.
2. TALK: We talk about your business and your plans for the future; we look at your company’s fundamentals and financial position.
3. PLAN: I formulate a strategy to move your company towards a successful outcome, such as finding a buyer or undertaking a handover.
4. ACT: We work together to take action on an agreed strategy for getting your business ready for its new owner.
5. REVIEW: Is the plan working? We make sure you’re on track to achieving your plans for the future.
READY TO STEP BACK FROM YOUR BUSINESS?
Succession planning client testimonials
Get back time for yourself
David* was working 55 hours every week in his successful plumbing services company. He had been building his business for 30 years and, in spite of being the CEO, still spent most of his spare time working on – or thinking about – his company. He spoke to Geoff Hamilton about how he could finally pass on the business. Geoff came up with a plan to prepare the company for sale, helped find a buyer and worked with David to demonstrate how valuable the business was. Together they successfully sold the company for enough money to allow David to retire in comfort, travel with his wife and spend more time on the golf course.
Escape from the ups and downs
The stress of a cyclical industry can take its toll – Graeme, a construction project manager, no longer wanted to ride cashflow and workflow rollercoaster. He told Geoff he wanted to bring some certainty into his life, work less and spend more time with his family. Geoff worked with Graeme to pass his business onto Graeme’s son-in-law, Greg, who was also a builder. Graeme was still available to provide advice and was able to retire in comfort knowing his business was in good hands and still helping his family grow its prosperity.
*Surnames withheld for client privacy
Take on a new challenge
After doing the same job for 20 years, Maxine wanted a change. Her job as the director of a childcare centre had been rewarding, but she had never been able to travel or explore her passion for painting. Working alongside Maxine, Geoff prepared financial documents that showcased how profitable and well-positioned her centre was: quickly two buyers were competing to buy the business. Maxine now has plenty of time to paint, and has the freedom to choose her next challenge – she doesn’t need to get a new job from a financial point of view, but now she gets to choose whether or not to work.